Washington post compares actual memos to CBS's fakes
washingtonpost.com: Differences in Documents
Let's compare two documents from Bush's National Guard service. First, we have a letter which is known to be true, then we have those almost-entirely-discredited CBS memos. Due to my inability to change the width of this page easily, I have to shrink this image down. But, the best image is from the above link.
The most obvious, and non-typewriter-savy, difference is between the two signatures. The earlier document, which is real, shows Jerry Killian write out his entire name, while none of the CBS memos depict the full name (some have only initials). Another difference (I'm making my best guess here, not much credibility except for stating the obvious) is how the K in Killian is written. The actual document seems to show that the vertical line and / (upper-right diagonal line) were made in one pen movement (similar to how most people begin writing a capital P or R in cursive), while the \ (lower-right diagonal line) was made in a different stroke. CBS's memos seem to show the vertical line being made separately, while the the two diagonal line were made in one stroke (with a loop between the J and K). I may be entirely wrong, but I don't think a person is likely to change the style they form letters with. A bit of variation in appearance is omnipresent in signatures, but not this much of a difference.
However, both signatures seem to be from a right-handed person.
I'm trying to find some signature confirmation guides on www.howstuffworks.com, but the page is taking a while to load. Anyway, the signatures definitely look different, not to mention the text in the memos themselves. However, I think the real document was typed by Bush (hence the first person pronouns, so no real claims can be made that the text in CBS's documents prove they are forged.
Now, here's the really sad thing part of story: the real document was in the pentagon, while CBS's memos were "stored" in a private filing cabinet (or something similar. That does make one wonder how CBS's source would get into that cabinet, assuming they arn't forged). If the Killian family had simply kept the real Bush document, it would be worth a whole lot right now. Quite a shame, because the family seems to be rather nice.
Let's compare two documents from Bush's National Guard service. First, we have a letter which is known to be true, then we have those almost-entirely-discredited CBS memos. Due to my inability to change the width of this page easily, I have to shrink this image down. But, the best image is from the above link.
The most obvious, and non-typewriter-savy, difference is between the two signatures. The earlier document, which is real, shows Jerry Killian write out his entire name, while none of the CBS memos depict the full name (some have only initials). Another difference (I'm making my best guess here, not much credibility except for stating the obvious) is how the K in Killian is written. The actual document seems to show that the vertical line and / (upper-right diagonal line) were made in one pen movement (similar to how most people begin writing a capital P or R in cursive), while the \ (lower-right diagonal line) was made in a different stroke. CBS's memos seem to show the vertical line being made separately, while the the two diagonal line were made in one stroke (with a loop between the J and K). I may be entirely wrong, but I don't think a person is likely to change the style they form letters with. A bit of variation in appearance is omnipresent in signatures, but not this much of a difference.
However, both signatures seem to be from a right-handed person.
I'm trying to find some signature confirmation guides on www.howstuffworks.com, but the page is taking a while to load. Anyway, the signatures definitely look different, not to mention the text in the memos themselves. However, I think the real document was typed by Bush (hence the first person pronouns, so no real claims can be made that the text in CBS's documents prove they are forged.
Now, here's the really sad thing part of story: the real document was in the pentagon, while CBS's memos were "stored" in a private filing cabinet (or something similar. That does make one wonder how CBS's source would get into that cabinet, assuming they arn't forged). If the Killian family had simply kept the real Bush document, it would be worth a whole lot right now. Quite a shame, because the family seems to be rather nice.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home