.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Paragon

News That Matters,
Analysis of current events and all things important to the world.

Google
The Web The Real Ordeal

Sunday, January 09, 2005

South Korea Adds Satellite TV Service For Cell Phones

Yahoo! News article

Sometimes, I love South Koreans. Please skim through this post to see why I love this new idea for cellphone use. I'll admit that I didn't evn think that cellphones could pick up satellites, though I specifically stated that I want to watch TV on a cellphone (South Korea already has this, and apparently has pay-per-view movies as well).

I am honestly amazed at the people who think the Sirius satellite radio has been plucked from the distant future. I wouldn't consider Sirius "modern" (in the technology, not art, sense) unless it came bundled with OnStar and a good GPS system (all are physically packed into one item, rather than separate items that are discounted when all purchased at the same time).

Good luck to South Korea with their plan, though they probably don't need it. I wish American cellphone companies would wake up, as they can be replaced within a year. The best and easiest (in the long run) thing for the cellphone companies to do is make a deal with the Korean company to buy some technology, and deploy some new satellites over the US. This would get rid of the retarded "calling area", or whatever it is, system that American phone companies currently have. It shouldn't cost more than a few billion, honestly. Maybe it needs a hefty government subsidy; too bad most politicians look only to the immediate future and poll numbers, and haven't the slightest clue what long-term planning is. I actually got a book about that very subject, aptly entitled Thinking Beyond Stage One; the first 40 pages have been quite good, both well-written and educating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home