They're Bringing Back The Presidential Yacht!
Eschaton just reported this:
article
I am overjoyed, honestly. I know that my three return readers (is it really that many? I'm moving up the blogosphere…) are somewhat used to my sarcasm, but I am not being sarcastic. The Presidential Yacht is probably going to be the second most amazing vehicle in the world, right behind Air Force One (Presidential Jet), but that's only because Air Force One is a jet. Technically, the yacht may be third, as there are two Air Force One's, and they are exactly identical. Clinton may have carved his initials into the bathroom of one, but that would be the only difference (plus, there's no evidence of Clinton doing this).
The Yacht was abandoned several administrations ago, probably after or during the Kennedy era. In fact, Kennedy's yacht may not have been the official Presidential Yacht; I believe it was actually Kennedy's boat from before he entered the White House.
Now, each Air Force one costs like 200 million dollars to operate per year (that's the low estimate. One Clinton trip to Asia in 200 cost 63 million). And, it's not just the one jet that the president takes when he travels; there are at least two giant cargo jets that carry the Presidential limo and whatnot. The Air Force One's are the most advanced 747's known to man, and they are constantly upgraded so they stay the most advanced. They only thing that might be more advanced is the space shuttle (I don't think the International Space Station counts as a vehicle).
Air Force One has only two uses: to transport the president, and to impress foreign dignitaries. It is far easier to make deals with foreign leaders if you can impress them with incredible luxury, so the jets do return some money to the American taxpayer.
In my opinion, Bush needs to get rid of one Air Force One. He can keep one, but he doesn't need both. (but what should Bush do if he can't ride his only 747 if it has problems?-ed) The president should have another jet, maybe a Gulfstream V (around 35 million is a basic cost for the plane, I believe), which is sportier and cheaper. A Gulfstream V might even be faster, and it could be modified to refuel in the air, and heavily upgraded like all presidential vehicles.
Anyway, replacing one 747 with a Gulfstream V would leave a lot of money for the presidential yacht. Yachts are the ultimate in luxury travel. Not even a 747 can compare, because jets are loud, confined, and quite limited in how much stuff you can put on. Boats don't have the requirement of flying, thus allowing them to hold far more, and they are quiet, and they can be quite open. If you want to impress a foreign diplomat, yachts are the best vehicles to use, by far. Don't believe me? Check out this beauty:
By the way, that's the Annaliesse from here. The camera image brings up a pop-up with specifications and more images, including some interior ones. And yep, that's a helipad on the boat. Very expensive, might I add. About $850,000 per week. I am drooling, by the way.
A president-worthy luxury superyacht probably costs half as much as an Air Force One. The Saudi Royal Family has some of the greatest yacht on earth, and I think it's about time Bush shows off; can't let the oil barons dominate the 480-foot-yacht club (there's only one member, Abdul Aziz). Actually, that yacht cost only 100 million, but isn't a great looker from the outside. It ought to be a crime to spend 100 million on a yacht and not make it beautiful. I wonder if Bush can simply declare war on Saudi Arabia and take all their yachts away; that would pay for the new war and Iraq. And, let's not forget about the Saudi Royal family's jets, or all that artwork.
The Senate voted 65-30 for the legislation late on Saturday that sets aside funds for a range of priorities including a presidential yacht, foreign aid and energy. It is one of the final pieces of work for the 108th Congress and they may return to finish a spy agency overhaul before the end of the year.
article
I am overjoyed, honestly. I know that my three return readers (is it really that many? I'm moving up the blogosphere…) are somewhat used to my sarcasm, but I am not being sarcastic. The Presidential Yacht is probably going to be the second most amazing vehicle in the world, right behind Air Force One (Presidential Jet), but that's only because Air Force One is a jet. Technically, the yacht may be third, as there are two Air Force One's, and they are exactly identical. Clinton may have carved his initials into the bathroom of one, but that would be the only difference (plus, there's no evidence of Clinton doing this).
The Yacht was abandoned several administrations ago, probably after or during the Kennedy era. In fact, Kennedy's yacht may not have been the official Presidential Yacht; I believe it was actually Kennedy's boat from before he entered the White House.
Now, each Air Force one costs like 200 million dollars to operate per year (that's the low estimate. One Clinton trip to Asia in 200 cost 63 million). And, it's not just the one jet that the president takes when he travels; there are at least two giant cargo jets that carry the Presidential limo and whatnot. The Air Force One's are the most advanced 747's known to man, and they are constantly upgraded so they stay the most advanced. They only thing that might be more advanced is the space shuttle (I don't think the International Space Station counts as a vehicle).
Air Force One has only two uses: to transport the president, and to impress foreign dignitaries. It is far easier to make deals with foreign leaders if you can impress them with incredible luxury, so the jets do return some money to the American taxpayer.
In my opinion, Bush needs to get rid of one Air Force One. He can keep one, but he doesn't need both. (but what should Bush do if he can't ride his only 747 if it has problems?-ed) The president should have another jet, maybe a Gulfstream V (around 35 million is a basic cost for the plane, I believe), which is sportier and cheaper. A Gulfstream V might even be faster, and it could be modified to refuel in the air, and heavily upgraded like all presidential vehicles.
Anyway, replacing one 747 with a Gulfstream V would leave a lot of money for the presidential yacht. Yachts are the ultimate in luxury travel. Not even a 747 can compare, because jets are loud, confined, and quite limited in how much stuff you can put on. Boats don't have the requirement of flying, thus allowing them to hold far more, and they are quiet, and they can be quite open. If you want to impress a foreign diplomat, yachts are the best vehicles to use, by far. Don't believe me? Check out this beauty:
By the way, that's the Annaliesse from here. The camera image brings up a pop-up with specifications and more images, including some interior ones. And yep, that's a helipad on the boat. Very expensive, might I add. About $850,000 per week. I am drooling, by the way.
A president-worthy luxury superyacht probably costs half as much as an Air Force One. The Saudi Royal Family has some of the greatest yacht on earth, and I think it's about time Bush shows off; can't let the oil barons dominate the 480-foot-yacht club (there's only one member, Abdul Aziz). Actually, that yacht cost only 100 million, but isn't a great looker from the outside. It ought to be a crime to spend 100 million on a yacht and not make it beautiful. I wonder if Bush can simply declare war on Saudi Arabia and take all their yachts away; that would pay for the new war and Iraq. And, let's not forget about the Saudi Royal family's jets, or all that artwork.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home