.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Paragon

News That Matters,
Analysis of current events and all things important to the world.

Google
The Web The Real Ordeal

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Powell Out, Condi In

ABC News: Condoleezza Rice to Be Named Secretary of State

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, one of President Bush's closest counselors, will be nominated to replace Colin Powell as secretary of state, ABC News has learned.
...
ABC News has also learned that Deputy National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley will likely replace Rice as national security adviser.

The announcement comes as a sort of birthday present for Rice, who turned 50 on Sunday.

Few people are better qualified for an office than Condi Rice. However, I see one problem with her: she is a Soviet expert. There are no more Soviets; her entire specialty has vanished. I, honestly, can't be sure whether she views the world as the way it is today, or the way it was when she first learned how to view the world, when the Soviets were a large threat.

Additionally, Bush's Education Secretary, Rod Paige, is resigning amid some controversies of his own (he called the nations largest teacher's union a "terrorist organization"). There are also some claims that he "stacked the deck", in a manner of speaking, in order to improve student test scores; but I have doubts. Plus, I have no evidence of this, other than word-of-mouth claims.

Bush's Energy Secretary and Commerce Secretary Don Evans are also expected to leave. Attorney General John Ashcroft will be replaced with Alberto Gonzalez, a very qualified conservative, if my memory is correct. I believe Bush wanted to appoint him to the Supreme Court, but he got philibustered, but my memory may be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home