.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Paragon

News That Matters,
Analysis of current events and all things important to the world.

Google
The Web The Real Ordeal

Monday, November 15, 2004

Clash Of Cultures In Netherlands

Note: I have been attempting to make a new setup, where I simply list links to some of the major stories of the day, and have a few-paragraph summary included in an onmouseover event (it will appear in a frame when the mouse is held over the link). Unfortumately, it appears that blogger will not allow me to use the method that I origionally intended, so I will have to use frames the 'long way', once I find out how. I was hoping that this new method would conserve a lot of space, and that I may even be able to get other blogs to use the tool (linking to me in the process). I hope to work on this tool next weekend, after I re-learn some javascript.

Anyway, here is the link and summary, or one of them (with more to come):
article

The Netherlands claim to be one of the most tolerant nations in the world, with legalized prostitution, drugs, and near-limitless immigration. The majority of children younger than 14 in Netherlands four largest cities are Muslim, due to massive immigration of around one million Muslims into Europes most crowded small country. Most of these Muslims make little effort to integrate into Dutch culture. An anti-Muslim backlash has spread throughout Europe, and the Netherlands largest political party was forced to disband due to anti-immigration views. The divide between most Dutch and the Muslims in the Netherlands came into focus when Theo Van Gogh was assassinated, because he made a movie depicting the oppression that women often face in Islamic society. Twelve men have been arrested in connection with this crime, including two who threw a grenade at police during a 14-hour standoff. A series of tit-for-tat attacks on mosques, churches, and schools followed the murder and arrests; with one Christian being completely gutted, while a small bomb exploded in a Muslim school. Two years ago, Pim Fortuyn was also gunned down for opposing immigration with the claim that the Netherlands were full. Presence of 1,300 Dutch troops in Iraq have raised tensions, and one 18-year-old was arrested for plotting terrorist attacks months ago. Ismlamic extremism even penetrated the Dutch intelligence service, resulting in the arrest of one double agent and the drafting of a Patriot Act-like law (which I am not quite willing to support unless I can find a lot more information about it). For years, intelligence authorities have been warning about the tinderbox that many Muslim communities, and their potential fanaticism, have become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home