Terrorism In Russia (updated)
Over the past few days, Russia has seen three large terrorists acts. First, dual suicide bombers in airplanes (90 deaths). Then, a suicide bomber in a subway (8 deaths). And, lastly, a hostage crisis in a school (ongoing event, no known deaths).
You read that last one correctly. Main source. Up to 17 armed Chechen terrorists are holding a school, with about 400 people inside, hostage. Most of the hostages are between the ages of 7 and 17. The terrorists have threatened to kill 50 hostages for every one of the terrorists that is killed, and to kill 20 hostages for every injury.
Now, there has also been a pair of bus bombings in Israel, the first terrorist actions in several months. I believe that these acts were prompted by the terrorism in Russia. I’m not saying the two were related, but I do believe that Palestinian groups followed the lead of Chechen terrorists. I am also concerned by the fact that, like there were two plane crashes in Russia, the bus bombings in Israel were simultaneous (simultaneous attacks, of course, are somewhat common).
I’ll see what I can dig up on these stories, and I hope to have some new posts or updates within a few days. I’ve already made a decent post about Kerry’s faults, what will happen at the convention, and the strategies for right after the convention, but I plan to update it soon for better clarity and content. Otherwise, I don’t anticipate anything of substance coming out of this convention, except for Bush’s speech and some plans for the future.
Update, 9/3/04 11:29 PM EST: Major source. Here is how the events unfolded, to the best of my knowledge (flaws are in this, I assure you): The Russian negotiator convinced the terrorists to allow an ambulance (or other emergency vehicle) to collect the bodies of six who died in the takeover of the school. Around the time this happened, many hostages ran out of the building, and explosions may have gone off inside the school. At least one terrorist was on the roof of the school, and they began to shoot at the fleeing hostages. Russian troops fired at the terrorist. Then, the roof the terrorist was standing on collapsed (I believe that may have been the roof over the gym, where most or all of the hostages were being held). To the best of my knowledge, that roof caved in because terrorists rigged explosives inside the gymnasium, and one of the terrorists set them off. Officials have estimated the death toll at more than 200, according to the AP. According to former hostages who talked with the media, several of the terrorists were women, and all the terrorists were brutal.
The end of this tragedy seems unexpected and unplanned, which may be responsible for a large number of deaths.
It also appears that my initial fears were not entirely wrong: "Valery Andreyev, Russia's Federal Security Service chief in the region, said 10 Arabs were among 27 militants who were killed. The ITAR-Tass news agency, citing unidentified security sources, reported the hostage-taking was the work of Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev, who had al-Qaida backing." It indeed seems that this act was one of terrorism, not an effort to separate Chechnya from Russia. After all, revolutionaries do not target or brutalize women and children, but terrorists do so whenever they can. Personally (i.e. without much evidence to support my suspicions), I believe that there is a larger international group that was involved. Further, I suspect that Chechnya will be punished severely due to this act. This event may have signaled a very tragic and costly conflict inside of Russia, and maybe a similar conflict between Russia and the mid-east.
Further updates will come once I can find more information. My sympathies go to the Russian people who have suffered through this and the tragedies of only a few days ago.
You read that last one correctly. Main source. Up to 17 armed Chechen terrorists are holding a school, with about 400 people inside, hostage. Most of the hostages are between the ages of 7 and 17. The terrorists have threatened to kill 50 hostages for every one of the terrorists that is killed, and to kill 20 hostages for every injury.
Now, there has also been a pair of bus bombings in Israel, the first terrorist actions in several months. I believe that these acts were prompted by the terrorism in Russia. I’m not saying the two were related, but I do believe that Palestinian groups followed the lead of Chechen terrorists. I am also concerned by the fact that, like there were two plane crashes in Russia, the bus bombings in Israel were simultaneous (simultaneous attacks, of course, are somewhat common).
I’ll see what I can dig up on these stories, and I hope to have some new posts or updates within a few days. I’ve already made a decent post about Kerry’s faults, what will happen at the convention, and the strategies for right after the convention, but I plan to update it soon for better clarity and content. Otherwise, I don’t anticipate anything of substance coming out of this convention, except for Bush’s speech and some plans for the future.
Update, 9/3/04 11:29 PM EST: Major source. Here is how the events unfolded, to the best of my knowledge (flaws are in this, I assure you): The Russian negotiator convinced the terrorists to allow an ambulance (or other emergency vehicle) to collect the bodies of six who died in the takeover of the school. Around the time this happened, many hostages ran out of the building, and explosions may have gone off inside the school. At least one terrorist was on the roof of the school, and they began to shoot at the fleeing hostages. Russian troops fired at the terrorist. Then, the roof the terrorist was standing on collapsed (I believe that may have been the roof over the gym, where most or all of the hostages were being held). To the best of my knowledge, that roof caved in because terrorists rigged explosives inside the gymnasium, and one of the terrorists set them off. Officials have estimated the death toll at more than 200, according to the AP. According to former hostages who talked with the media, several of the terrorists were women, and all the terrorists were brutal.
The end of this tragedy seems unexpected and unplanned, which may be responsible for a large number of deaths.
It also appears that my initial fears were not entirely wrong: "Valery Andreyev, Russia's Federal Security Service chief in the region, said 10 Arabs were among 27 militants who were killed. The ITAR-Tass news agency, citing unidentified security sources, reported the hostage-taking was the work of Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev, who had al-Qaida backing." It indeed seems that this act was one of terrorism, not an effort to separate Chechnya from Russia. After all, revolutionaries do not target or brutalize women and children, but terrorists do so whenever they can. Personally (i.e. without much evidence to support my suspicions), I believe that there is a larger international group that was involved. Further, I suspect that Chechnya will be punished severely due to this act. This event may have signaled a very tragic and costly conflict inside of Russia, and maybe a similar conflict between Russia and the mid-east.
Further updates will come once I can find more information. My sympathies go to the Russian people who have suffered through this and the tragedies of only a few days ago.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home