.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Paragon

News That Matters,
Analysis of current events and all things important to the world.

Google
The Web The Real Ordeal

Sunday, February 06, 2005

I just saw the halftime show..

Oh dear god. I never realized how good the Janet Jackson halftime show actually was. That show was horrible. I have decided that it is more interesting to do physics homework than to watch the superbowl. By the way, Ameriquest, you ought to be ashamed of yourself for that presentation. Paul Mcartney (that is his name, right?) isn't terrible, really, but a superbowl show should have several popular singers who are actually able to sing appropriate songs. Paul simply doesn't have the energy in his voice, not to mention the placidity of his songs.

So, I have found a better song, A British Tar (best copy of lyrics I could get), which was well presented in Star Trek: Insurrection. That website is actually a Star Trek fansite/database of all things treky.

A decent recording is here
The plain background music is here. You can go to this website if those links didn't work, the songs are on the right column, just scroll down a bit (the first song is the one with only background music).
Yet another full version can be downloaded from here.
Finally, you can grab a 30-second sample of what is probably the best version here.

I wish I could get the audio directly from Star Trek: Insurrection, as that had a simple and good rendition, but I guess I'll just have to do without. By the way, A British Tar sounds a bit like a drinking song…

In case you are wondering, the song was written y Gilbert and Sullivan in the 19th century for the work HMS Pinafore. The group is perhaps better known for "I am the very model of a modern major-general", but I believe their work is still highly regarded.
Now, a great parody of that song, I Am The Very Model of a Microsoft Executive, is here.

So, who wants to sing some decent 19th century music? If you want some of my preferred modern music, you can find it here (the free samples are of the complete song, just click the little play arrow and wait a few seconds). Oh yeah, in case you wonder what genre that music is, it's gothic heavy metal rock, from the Netherlands. You can’t get that type of music in the US. You can't get that type of website in the US, either. You have to admit, that band has a great singer and some great musicians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home