.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Paragon

News That Matters,
Analysis of current events and all things important to the world.

Google
The Web The Real Ordeal

Monday, April 18, 2005

Conclaveblogging

A while after 12:30 PM GMT (god stopped my watch on the flight): I just got off the flight (in-terminal satellite-internet-connection-blogging atm), and am really ticked that the security at JFK wouldn't let me take the scepter onboard. I had to mail it to my Rome address; I wished it godspeed, it will arrive in 6 to 8 weeks anyway. The flight was moderate – a fat oaf took the window seat and slept through half the trip, it ought to be a sin to waste the window seat by sleeping – but I was able to convince the passengers to let me bless their peanuts in exchange for standard tithing of the nuts. They let me count :D. During the in-flight movie (Ocean's 12, it's overrated), I started the third season of 24 on the laptop. I hooked the auxiliary battery cord up secretly so the passengers would think the longevity of the laptop was a miracle, but only a few people noticed. The meal was better than expected, so no one asked me to bless their chicken fettuccini. I didn't even offer when the cheesecake came around for desert (I was in 1st class). The landing was fine, but the plane took 35 minutes to reach the terminal. The passanger next to me decided to repent and helped me get the rest of my carry-on luggage out of the overhead compartment.
I'm waiting at the baggage claim right now, and not much is happening. I struck up a nice conversation with a local policeman about how few people try to steal luggage here – he said it was because not even thieves will sink low enough to contribute to the lost luggage problem. Ah, my stuff just came off the conveyor belt! Back in a sec.

I just saw a clock on the carousel's digital screen, it's about 1:55. Gotta run, I'll report from anywhere that I can find a power outlet. Glad I remembered to bring my voltage transformer this time

A nice cabbie helped me with the luggage. These guys have some way of telling who tips well and who does not, but they refuse to explain it to me. I gave a $15 tip, plus a blessing for him; I only agreed to bless the car enough to reduce carbon emissions (seven drivers ran out of gas before I learned not to bless the entire car), but the cabby was happy with that, anyway. Gonna save in MS word and update the blog a bit later.

3:25: I got into the conclave barely in time for the Skiball game. We broke out the holy water after a few more minutes. The young Cardinal Lopez (only 64 years old) won, but I didn't do too bad myself.
An hour or so later, Cardinal Law opened the official ceremonies with a reading from the bible. He read the wrong passage because he is dyslexic, but we decided not to correct him, because the intended passage was much longer.

Time to post this and get back to business. Updates coming soon (tm).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home