.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Paragon

News That Matters,
Analysis of current events and all things important to the world.

Google
The Web The Real Ordeal

Monday, January 03, 2005

Get Ready To Buy McDonald's Stock

Canada Confirms Second Mad Cow Case

McDonald's may not be the exact best stock for this, a Canadian beef company or a company that deals primarily with Canadian beef may be better, mu McDonald's is an easily recognisable name, and I don't feel like doing much research right now, at 11 PM (first day back at school is tomorrow. Otherwise, I'd be up until 2 AM). The relevant stocks may not drop much, as the risk of further infections from those tested possitive is almost none (which, I suppose, is a good thing). I must admit, Mad Cow disease is incredibly over-popularized. A few cows get sick, and stock prices can plummet. SARs was disgustingly over-mentioned, as well. I don't think an American even died of SARs. Tubercliosis (no idea on spelling, but the virus is nicknamed TB and "red snapper" for what it does to cells, I believe) recieves almost no attention from the US media, even though it can spread fairly easily and kills many Americans each year.

Oh yeah, steer clear of Time Warner stock, too. Yes, I have been insulting that company every chance I get, but I'm serious. Their monopoly over cable TV lines is going in front of the Supreme Court in a few months (at least according to a few news articles, though it hasn't been mentioned much), and I don't think Time Warner has chances worth keeping stock in them, as a stockholder has little to gain but much to lose, depending on how the court rules. If Time Warner loses control of cable TV lines, then I believe they will lose much of their income, and I wouldn't expect them to be a large business within 5 years, if they are still around by then.
Google, on the other hand, I am a bit interested in. The stock is priced fairly high, and the internet stocks seem too speculative and risky for me to really trust them, but I personally wouldn't mind putting some money in them. A searchenginewatch.com piece on google is here, and an ABC article relating to a 60 Minutes piece is here.


Please keep in mind, I'm no stock expert. My correct stock predictions are the belief that Google stock would do well, and that my stock broker should have purchased Martha Stewart stock as Martha was entering prison (my judgment in favor of the stock was based largely on Martha's "buy all my stuff" speech shortly after her court case).
This is the type of thing I like from Google:

But they’re doing everything they can to keep the money from becoming a distraction. Brin treated the day that the company went public as just another workday. "Everybody was focused on their projects," he says. "One of the engineers I talked to, and I asked him what his plans were and he said he was gonna throw out all of his socks and buy new ones so they would all match - they’d all be the same kind. So that was the kind of extravagance we’re seeing here.

Oddly practical..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home