What Do You Really Want In This Election?
Despite all the rhetoric, firefights between Bush campaign and Kerry campaign "strategists" on news shows that claim to be fair and informative, BS about memos and claims that the traditional TV media will crumble, and general junk that will keep pilling up until the election, I don't think that anything publicized thus far really matters. In fact, the anti-Bush whining, from the Florida 2000 controversy to the day of the 2004 election, will never be included in a decent history book
Why? Because, what does all this rhetoric do? What can possibly be accomplished by claiming that one politician is Satan himself, while the other is too humble to reveal the halo around his head?
The answer: absolutely nothing. America threw itself into a nasty election more than a year ago when the pre-democratic primary debates started. All the Bush-bashing amounted to one thing: inflated poll numbers for Howard Dean. Today, is Howard Dean of any importance? His diehard supporters proved that they are more impotent than influential.
Yet, no one has really learned from Dean's mistakes. The Kerry campaign says it needs to be more anti-Bush to recover from the GOP convention, but that fanaticism has wasted time at best, and turned Kerry into a standard repulsive politician at worst.
So, I ask you, the so-called average voter, what you would rather see happen in the remainder of the campaigns. I am not asking about election results or poll numbers, I am instead asking what can be a constructive use of these final weeks. Would you prefer the candidates discuss their vision of an ideal America, or work to advocate their plans so that, whoever wins, they may be able to use a good proposal from the other candidate? Perhaps America would like to see a determined leader, who has the courage to ignore critics and poll numbers so he do what he knows is right, emerge from the debates.
Perhaps I should ask why these campaigns have done more to hurt America than they can to help it. But the past is hard to change, and I would rather see something good materialize from this rivalry.
By the way, I do hope for comments or emails. If you do not want your email, in part or whole, mentioned/quoted/posted on this website, you can simply say so.
Why? Because, what does all this rhetoric do? What can possibly be accomplished by claiming that one politician is Satan himself, while the other is too humble to reveal the halo around his head?
The answer: absolutely nothing. America threw itself into a nasty election more than a year ago when the pre-democratic primary debates started. All the Bush-bashing amounted to one thing: inflated poll numbers for Howard Dean. Today, is Howard Dean of any importance? His diehard supporters proved that they are more impotent than influential.
Yet, no one has really learned from Dean's mistakes. The Kerry campaign says it needs to be more anti-Bush to recover from the GOP convention, but that fanaticism has wasted time at best, and turned Kerry into a standard repulsive politician at worst.
So, I ask you, the so-called average voter, what you would rather see happen in the remainder of the campaigns. I am not asking about election results or poll numbers, I am instead asking what can be a constructive use of these final weeks. Would you prefer the candidates discuss their vision of an ideal America, or work to advocate their plans so that, whoever wins, they may be able to use a good proposal from the other candidate? Perhaps America would like to see a determined leader, who has the courage to ignore critics and poll numbers so he do what he knows is right, emerge from the debates.
Perhaps I should ask why these campaigns have done more to hurt America than they can to help it. But the past is hard to change, and I would rather see something good materialize from this rivalry.
By the way, I do hope for comments or emails. If you do not want your email, in part or whole, mentioned/quoted/posted on this website, you can simply say so.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home